Re: e2fsck...

Bruce Janson (bruce@staff.cs.usyd.edu.au)
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:29:59 +1000

..
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
From: lm@bitmover.com (Larry McVoy)
..
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:13:00 -0800

: The Network appliance filers have a "snapshot" capability that works
: somewhat similar to the following
:
: 1. when you take a snapshot the system makes a copy of all the inodes.

It's even smarter thn that. It makes a copy of the super block. The new
..
cool. I'm enough of a file system expert to view the NetApp work as
some of the best file sytem work in the last 20 years. There may well
be other work that I don't know about that is better, but it is unlikely,
I tend to stay somewhat current on that stuff, it's interesting to me.
..

Larry,
Two similar and very similar systems are, respectively:

Hume, A.G., "The File Motel -- An Incremental Backup System for UNIX",
USENIX San Francisco 1988 Summer Conference Proceedings,
pp95-106, 1988

and The Plan 9 File Server:

Quinlan, S., "A Cached WORM File System",
Software - Practice & Experience, 21(12),
pp. 1289-1299, 1991
(and also more briefly in http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/doc/fs.html)

Regards,
bruce.