Re: 2.1.126 still no sparc64 autofs

Rich Sahlender (rsahlen@voicenet.com)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:47:06 -0500 (EST)

Okay, I finally had time to take a closer look at this. I've
found the problem but am not sure what's the best fix.

The linux/include/linux/auto_fs.h file is shared between the
autofs.o kernel module and the automount user space daemon
and contains the following struct:

struct autofs_packet_missing {
struct autofs_packet_hdr hdr;
unsigned long wait_queue_token;
int len;
char name[NAME_MAX+1];
};

The problem is that on sparc64 systems the unsigned long
generates a 64 bit long for the kernel to use, but the
user space automount expects a 32 bit long and is therefore
not able to reference the len and name fields properly. I've
worked around the problem for now by inserting an unused
long before wait_queue_token in the automount build.

I thought about providing a patch for the struct since it
looks like 32 bits should be large enough for the token but
was then told there are ioctl's which should handle passing
data between 32 bit user <-> 64 bit kernel space automatically.
I'm getting lost in the code trying to find them but if they
exist I guess that's the best place for a fix.

Perhaps Dave M. or Jakub J. will have a look?

Thanks for the great work on the ultrapenguin guys. I'm
really loving these ultra's with hme's at 100mb...

Regards,
Rich