Re: New Solaris 7 features

Michael Callahan (mjc@rodagroup.com)
13 Nov 1998 04:40:16 -0000

> On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 09:57:07AM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > > - Full Unicode 2.1 support
>
> chip@perlsupport.com said:
> > What could Unicode have to do with the kernel? I don't get it.
>
> I write NT device drivers (when Linux drivers aren't enough).
>
> The person who decides to invent UNICODE support for Linux
> is just asking for a black eye.

But Unicode for NT is such fun!

For example, the checked DbgPrint() bluescreens above DISPATCH_LEVEL
if you try to print a Unicode string--the Unicode->ASCII
translation tables are marked as pageable.

Since as far as I know, printk() does not have any format specifiers
that cause obscure kernel panics, Linux is clearly behind in this
area.

Michael

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/linux-kernel/?start=76347