Re: CD-RW as a normal hard disk?

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:33:54 +0100

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 05:36:57PM +0200, Meelis Roos wrote:
> Can I use a CD-RW drive as a normal removable hard disk drive? I would
> like to create a filesystem on it and copy my files on it.

Please note that CD-RW don't have as many read/write cycles per block
as hard disks have, you will probably very soon lose your
administration blocks on your CD - which is basically why you don't
use ext2/fat/whatever is normally used on hard disks. CD-RW is probably
not meant as a hard drive replacement anyways.

I cannot help you with your other question "what file system to use".
I assume you could get along with on-the-fly-recording of mkisofs
output (just tried with a P-90 on Linux 2.1.127, Tekram DC-390U
(SYM53C875) from Micropolis Tomahawk, FAT32-Partition to a Yamaha
CDR-400T (no CD-RW, but CD-R))

--
Matthias Andree