Re: Linux 2.1.125 doesn't dump core on SIGSEGV

Ken Pizzini (ken@halcyon.com)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:05:05 -0800

In linux-kernel, message <19981112110054.B21064@caffeine.ix.net.nz>,
chris@cybernet.co.nz wrote:
>But, when we have O_NOFOLLOW, then that's a better way to do this,
>and then we can allow ((O_CREAT|O_EXCL)&~O_NOFOLLOW) to follow links
>if some some reason and applications think this might be necessary.

Interesting thought. If we choose the bits right we could have
(bit patterns made up for example purposes):
#define O_CREAT 0x50
#define O_EXCL 0xa0
#define O_NOFOLLOW 0xc0

Then we get (O_CREAT|O_EXCL) == (O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_NOFOLLOW),
but we can detect that none of O_CREAT, O_EXCL, ((O_CREAT|O_EXCL)&~O_NOFOLLOW)
match (x&O_NOFOLLOW)==O_NOFOLLOW.

Would this be an acceptable solution?

--Ken Pizzini