Re: Linux Splash Screen

Jan-Frode Myklebust (janfrode@picasso.uib.no)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:55:17 +0100

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 11:26:33AM +0000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> Dear Jim (and everyone on the I-thought-non-existent-but-looks-like-still-alive
> "Linux bootlogo" thread),
>
> The idea of Linux bootlogo has been approved and implemented by the kernel
> developers eons (on Linux timescale) ago. Read everything you can find on fb
> (framebuffer) console,

[X] Check

> configure vesafb support into the kernel,

[X] Check

> add
> "vga=ask" to /etc/lilo.conf,

[X] Check

> press 305 when asked for a mode

Unvalid mode entered, Enter mode number or `scan':

I scan and I scan, but doesn't get any new modes. My Diamond Fire FL 1000
Pro is reported as VESA VGA

I've also tried to add 'append = "video=vesa:ypan"' and 'vga = 771' to
lilo.conf, too no luck yet. I think I must have tried to get this with
atleast the last 5 kernels,

> and enjoy N
> [where N is the number of CPUs] penguins standing proudly above the kernel
> messages and watching them scroll.

I see 0 proud penguins, but that might be caused be linux numbering the
first processor as processor 0 :)

here's my hardware...

# hinv
Main memory size: 64 Mbytes
1 AuthenticAMD processor
2 16550A serial ports
1 vga+ graphics device
3 IDE devices
hda: QUANTUM BIGFOOT2550A
hdc: WDC AC35100L
hdd: FX001DE
1 ethernet interface
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address 00 60 8c b6 65 a3, IRQ 5.
PCI bus devices:
Host bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 4).
PCI bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 0).
ISA bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo ISA (rev 65).
IDE interface: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo IDE (rev 6).
USB Controller: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo USB (rev 2).
Bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C586B Apollo ACPI (rev 16).
VGA compatible controller: Texas Instruments TVP4020 Permedia 2 (rev 1).

--
Regards,
Jan-Frode