Re: Schedule idle

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 03:23:05 +0100

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 02:43:51PM +1300, cw@ix.net.nz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 06:51:24AM -0700, yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu wrote:
>
> > Why can't you run those tasks at nice 18?

I wanted to add to this discussion that both irix and hpux support
this kind of tasks, even better than we do with SCHED_IDLE, by
extending the realtime priority to a wieder range:

pri > 0 run always unless preempted by another rt task
pri < 0 run never unless no sched_other task and no higher priority
rt task runs

I _lot_ of machiens are used as desktops at the day and for computations at
night. It does not make sense to detract 10% of the speed at the day when
everybody wants low latency. nice +19 processes get quite a big part of the
cpu time.

As a practical example, when I do a long-running compilation (xfree or
glibc), I start it as an idle task. This gives me (almost) full interaktive
performance for the edit/compile/debug cycle, while giving all idle time to
the background job.

I admit that the idle scheduling is not perfect, but standard linux has
nothing comparable. If a nice +19 process wouldn't eat much cpu time I
wouldn't say anything, but they take performance down noticably. So why does
everybody bang on that useful patch, when linux doesn't give anything
comparable in the standard distribution?

The choice of a GNU generation |