Re: shutdown and not unmounting root

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 07:29:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 georg.funke@netcologne.de wrote:

> On 10 Nov, ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 02:23:25PM +0000, Dominik Strasser wrote:
> >
> >> I cannot unmount the root directory in 2.1.126. / is on /dev/hdd3, hda
> >> and hdb aren't connected (the IDE controller is not working) hdc
> >> contains an NT volume. I use mount 2.9e (from util-linux 2.9e) but mount
> >> 2.8 didn't work either. I am not sure when this behavior started but it
> >> must have been the 2.1.11* series.
> >> After the kill -9 -1 in /etc/rc.d/rc.6, there are only 3 processes:
> >> kflushd, kswapd, sh rc.6 which do not hold any files. umount -a just
> >> gives "/ busy".
>
> I see the same on my new REDHAT 5.1 System.
>
> In linux/Documentation/Changes there is a section who describes this
> problem with glibc (aka libc6). There is also a solution for this
> problem

There are two different problems:
1) kernels 2.1.12[3456] have dentry leak in sys_rename(). If any program
tries to do rename(foo,bar) in situation when foo doesn't exist you'll
be unable to umount that fs.
2) in one of the glibc versions ld-linux.so mmap's /etc/ld.so.cache and
fails to get rid of it before passing the control to your program. If you
remove /etc/ld.so.cache (e.g. doing ldconfig) you'll have a nasty problem
with init keeping the unlinked file from removing. On shutdown you get
dirty root.