Re: Strange thing with a mounted iso-image throught the loopdevice..

Alistair Riddell (alistair@watsons.edin.sch.uk)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:09:37 +0000 (GMT)

Try running losetup -d /dev/loop0

The disk image will not be removed from disk until you detach the loop
device.

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Kalle Andersson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I mounted a iso-image through the loop-device (losetup /dev/loop0
> image.raw ; mount -t iso9660 /dev/loop0 /loop) and this was all fine.
> Later on I forgot that it was mounted and I deleted the image file. I then
> realize it was mounted so I did umount it. The strange part is that I
> didn't get any diskspace back.. It works nicely if I umount before I
> delete of course..
>
> I wouldn't exactly call this a release-critical bug but it certainly isn't
> a pleasant feature. I did this as root, but I can't see any reason why it
> can't be done by a normal user. So fix it if you'd like. It's a little bit
> annyoing but not critical...
>
> BTW, after making a few images and burning them on cd in between, my
> computer with 64 MB ram starts to swap a bit. Same goes if the machine
> stands up for a week or so. Freshly rebooted it is much faster then after
> a week. Aka, the NT syndrome =)
>
> Otherwise my machine has been solid since around 2.1.115 or so, I'm
> running 2.1.127-ac1 atm.
>
> --
> Med vänlig hälsning
> Kalle Andersson
> kalle.andersson@mbox303.swipnet.se
>

> -

Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us