Re: A patch for linux 2.1.127

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:03:19 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

> It also seems pointless for everyone to write their own macro
> preprocessor and translator from Intel to Unix syntax. Nor does it make
> much obvious sense to write a whole new assembler from the ground up.
> Has anyone written a translator between Intel format (including the
> macro processor) and gas format?

No need really. There's the NASM v0.97 Intel assembler available. This
little beast can build object code targeted at ELF,COFF and *ahem* M$DOS
object formats.

I've found it quite easy compiling some old MASM code into ELF and linking
with egcs generated objects.

I'm currently using NASM's ndisasm to disassemble a long out of date DOS
driver to recode in C as a kernel module. Biggest bugbear is having to
figure out what it's doing ;o)

I'm also using NASM to write some very tight code for my Atari Portfolio
128Kb handheld - with that much memory, there is so little one can do. I'm
also coding up a VT100 terminal for this handheld so I can control my
linux machine with a long RS232 cable linked to my handheld so I can read
my email whilst I'm in bed... I kid you not. The tiny 40 columns by 6
rows LCD display is horrible though but I've figured that if I can
redefine the character sets I can squeeze out 60 x 10 which is far more
satisfactory IHMO for email.. My biggest problem is the tiny 32KB
flashcard which means I can't write code > 32KB at the moment even though
the handheld has 128kb of DOS memory - but I figure I can get it to boot
the start up binary off the flashcard, which can then load the main
program off the Linux machine. Hmm. Interesting ideas. (Not to mention
implementing that *cool* Borland overlay scheme to allow larger programs
over serial..)

Cheers,
Alex.

---