Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source documentA

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:23:55 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Alex Belits wrote:

> A large part of problem is that OSS community is concerned about quality
> and consistency while Microsoft is not -- even if their products fail
> miserably to implement their own protocol, become unstable, insecure or
> give a headache to developers, their PR machine will cover it up. Other
> companies and Open Source can't do that, but Microsoft can make products
> with half-ready features, and they still will be accepted as "new
> standards". However increasing quality expectations can slow down
> Microsoft just like it slows down everyone else.

It's even worse. Because OSS cares about its userbase, it will in fact try
to work around Microsoft bugs (See Win95 smbfs bug, still unfixed by M$?)
They are abusing one of the basic fundaments of OSS/Internet rules, "Be liberal
in what you accept, be strict in what you send". that rule, clearly the best
for the enduser, is going to play right into Microsofts hands. We'll fix or
make workarounds for their bugs (wether real bugs, or de-commodotising).

Paul