Re: [LIGHTYEARS OFFTOPIC] Hello Chinese student

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@tin.it)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:01:38 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Manuel J. Galan wrote:

> My first installed distribution was SLS (anybody remember?)
> with kernel 0.99.12...
>
> Then came Slackware and after Redhat, Debian, Suse, etc. but
> I never had that SLS excitement again :-(
>
> I wonder what happened with those guys...

I remember those days.

I remember a day at the Centro di Calcolo, Politecnico of Milano,
searching for Linux boot disk with an HP 9000/835 (UP-HX 7) connected to
the Internet. After rawriting it to the floppy I've booted the i80386 I
was using to telnet into the 835. Doing _that_ was so exciting :-)

Then I have downloaded all the SLS floppy and installed at home (I have
kept busy 6 of that 386 to do the ftp with NCSA software downloading the
floppies from the 835, used as temporary storage for all the stuff,
directly into drive A: just to be a bit faster ... hehe 3 for formatting
and verifying with hd-copy, just to be sure, and 3 for downloading).

My first installation was SLS too with 0.99.12 kernel on my 486/33 w/8
MB of ram and 250 MB of ide disk. Since then I have never re-installed it.
Now I have a dual P200 with mixed IDE/SCSI and I have upgraded the system
by hands following all the steps jump-table->ELF->LIBC6 and now I have a
somewhat mixed system (still some executables in the old format).

For those who sometimes say "I have problems upgrading kernel sources with
patch" I have to say that I have downloaded the entire kernel tree just
one time: the first time. Then I have upgraded it only with patches.

So far (and how far !!!) so good (better than anything I have _ever_
installed on my PC :-)

Ciao,
Riccardo.