Re: .wav output and SB16

Michael K Vance (mkv102@psu.edu)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:13:58 -0500

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Michael K Vance wrote:

> This is because .wav and .au data includes special
> header data that can be used to configure the sound

Sure, I'm aware of the data layout of the files and the header processing
requried, the only thing I can say is:

- In the past this has worked fine (catting to /dev/dsp, either .wav or .au)
- Programs (such as Quake--ahem) now have incredibly garbled output
- xanim plays the .wav output fine, I have discovered, but resets /dev/mixer's
pcm output to level 40, so it's barely audible (?)

Regards,

m.

--
"Up above aliens hover making home movies for the folks back home, of all
these weird creatures who lock up their spirits, drill holes in themselves