Re: .wav output and SB16

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:52:49 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Michael K Vance wrote:

> This is my first post to linux-kernel, forgive the naivete'.

Well, we usually do, but maybe it's time for an exception
now... :)

> Originally (ie, 2.1.127), anything catted to /dev/dsp would come out
> garbled. This included .wav and .au data.

This is because .wav and .au data includes special
header data that can be used to configure the sound
driver accordingly.

If you want to play .wav files, you can use a program
like vplay to do that. Vplay first reads the .wav
header and tells the kernel what kind of data (bitrate,
mono/stereo and signedness) to expect. Only after the
kernel and the soundcard have been setup to play your
el-weirdo formatted data, vplay proceeds to actually
push the data onto the speakers...

hope this helps,

Rik -- slowly getting used to dvorak kbd layout...