Re: New Solaris 7 features

cw@ix.net.nz
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:30:51 +1300

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 09:57:07AM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:

> - Can address 17.5 terabytes of memory, 9TB files

In theory, so can linux (on the alpha and ultra)

> - Arithmetic computations get to use 64-bit registers and operations

So can linux

> - UFS logging (mount -o logging /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt)

linux 2.3.x will probably have this

> - mount "noatime" support

something linux has had for eons

> - TCP performance enhancement with SACK, RFC 2018

something linux has had for a few months now

> - New crash dump features

something we don't have - and might be useful (I know we've had this
discussion a long time back when Linus said he didn't find them
useful or something)

> - BIND 8.1.2

so does linux (most recent. distrubutions anyhow)

> - Sendmail 8.9.1b

go it too

> - improved poll(2) system call (used in many applications)

not sure what imporved means, but poll(2) we got and have had for a
while now

> - increase in number of filedescriptors

actually, this is a killer for 2.1.x / 2.2.x - Bill Hawes did some
stuff to make this number dynamic, but I could never get it working
properly with gobs of FDs. We need gobs of FDs, really we do.

> - Full Unicode 2.1 support

dont have it

> - Better threading subsystem

we don't have lwp of threads, 2.3.x maybe

> - Lots of new CDE apps/improvements

gnome

> - Netscape 4.05

got it

> - directory name lookup cache optimized and now dynamically allocated on
> demand (static before)

umm... got this I think

> - significantly improved paging algorithim, not "on" by default
> add the line: set priority_paging = 1 to /etc/system, and reboot
> - Note, backported to 2.6 kernel patch "-09"
> http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/priority_paging.html
> IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure that data files do not have the executable
> bit set. This can fool the VM into thinking that these are really
> executables, and will not engage priority paging on these files.

no idea how we stack up here... last time I did any comparisons Sunos
4.1.3U2 seemed to page _much_ better than linux on the same box, but
I think this was a hacked 2.0.x or early 2.1.x kernel...

> - some new commands like
> plimit(1): Set or get resource limits of a process by taking a
> process ID (PID) as an argument (limit and ulimit only work with the
> current process)

don't have this... but it wouldn't be hard to add

> pgrep(1): Find a process by name and print the PID

pidof (had for a long time)

> pkill(1): Find a process by name and send it a signal specified on
> the command line

kill `pidof process`

?

a 2 line script maybe...

> traceroute

had it for eons

> - File Access Control Lists "facls" (man setfacl) added with Solaris 2.5.1
> are damn usefull.

another linux 2.3.x thing (maybe?)

I guess I'm just not easily impressed...

-cw