Re: A patch for linux 2.1.127

kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:39:14 -0600 (EST)

And lo, David S. Miller saith unto me:

> Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:21:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
>
> How about something simple like:
>
> if (SMALL_REGISTER_SET)
> never_inline_functions_unless_the_user_asked_for_it();
>
> which means that even with -O6 you would not inline functions
> unless they were marked inline.
>
> I think I'd rather tell people "don't compile the kernel with -O6"
> than turn off -finline-functions for -O6 by default on any machine.

Why not just recommend "-O6 -fno-inline-functions" like we did with the
strength reduction bug? (Insert the right switch to disable the
aggressive inlining of -O6 but not disable explicitly requested
inlining here...and in the compiler code, if it's not there already.)

Maybe even add a "-OK" or "-OL" optimization level for code which has
already been hand-optimized in these ways? Of course, we'd also want
to just use -O6 for code that has not been so heavily optimized vis a
vis inlining on Intel.

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,