Re: Fixing UMSDOS

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 17:17:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> I hope you don't mind my pointing out that under the VFAT file system,
> EVERY FILE HAS AN 8.3 FILENAME. Furthermore, this is done in a STABLE
> way, something which the UMSDOS file system appears NOT to manage!!!
> Dare I suspect that you've never used the VFAT file system yourself?

It's done _not_ in a stable way. Dare I suspect that you've never
seen what many DOS-3.30 utilities do with VFAT? And IMNSHO 3.30 is the
least sucking beast in DOS/Windows family. VFAT is a cruft over FAT. It
puts extra entries into directories and on a system that doesn't know
about that hack they are legal game. VFAT is OK on Windows and nowhere
else.
UMSDOS-like system atop of other fs may be reasonable, but that
will require either big warts (look at UMSDOS itself) or changes to VFS.
Which definitely belong to 2.3. If you are interested in that - you are
welcome. I'm hacking around something similar since September. No, it
isn't ready. Not even close. I'm trying to massage it into the form that
would allow layered filesystems. That's what UMSDOS (and NFS, BTW) are
trying to be.
Cheers,
Al

--
There are no "civil aviation for dummies" books out there and most of
you would probably be scared and spend a lot of your time looking up