Re: why umsdos?

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:45:26 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Denney <wnoise@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: mlist.linux.kernel
To: mlist-linux-kernel@nntp-server.caltech.edu
<mlist-linux-kernel@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 08, 1998 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: why umsdos?

>On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Horvath Akos <maxx@yuc.sch.bme.hu> wrote:
>> Five reasons to not to use this:
>
>[loopback ext2 filesystem in file on msdos partition]
>
>> - You can not resize an ext2fs image - repartitioning is better, because
>> FIPS, presizer or Partition Magic can resize msdos partitions
>
>No, you can't resize it, but you can copy it to a bigger file.
>Somebody recently came out with a tool to resize ext2 volumes. It
>might be persuaded to do this job, but perhaps not.

Impratical to do, dangerous, and close to impossible for some users

>> - You can not read az ext2fs image from dos
>
>There are actually drivers for it, as well as an mtools alike.

Do you really want to waste precious conventional or high memory to load an
EXT2 device driver just to be able to access a EXT2 filesystem image when
those files could have be stored transparently on UMSDOS?

>> - It will be slow (ok, umsdos is slow too)
>
>On the same order as umsdos.

Probably a bit slower, but even if not this means no advangtage for using a
file system image.

>> - A newbie will never be able to set up a looproot distribution
>
>Why not? I could just as easily assert "A newbie will never be able to
>set up an umsdos distribution."

I agree with you here to a small extent, but setting up a UMSDOS system is
quite easy with many distributions and the resulting system looks just like
an ordinary system. A file system image system would not be this easy nor
transparent as some trickery would have to be done to make it work.