Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 22:24:08 +0300 (MSK)

In <3645A71E.2FFC0440@efore.fi> Lauri Tischler (lauri.tischler@efore.fi) wrote:
LT> Khimenko Victor wrote:
>>

>> Just standard US SUPER-EGOISM. You could have russian text in HTML/WP/WORD.
>> You CAN NOT and NEVER will be able to send russian text as ASCII text.
>>
>> E M A I L I S N O T A S C I I ! ! ! !
>>
>> I prefer HTML here (it's by far better defined format) or one of text/plain
>> variants (there are quite a few: "text/plain; charset=KOI8-R",
>> "text/plain; charset=windows-1251", "text/plain; charset=ibm866", etc, etc)
>> since I have enough tools to read [almost] all variations of "text/plain"
>> with ability to carry russian text. But I simple could not get email from
>> A LOT OF my friends in ASCII...

LT> Please, don't mix charactersets and formats.

LT> ascii, koi, isoxxx and such are character sets and therefore acceptable

LT> html, wp, word are formats and NOT acceptable

Do not oversimplify problem ! For english and russian it's acceptable but for
example Hebrew uses right-to-left direction and there are quite a few other
languages where you could not type text in ANY charset with default layout
(for Hebrew it's hard but possible). No, it's NOT enough to have text/plain
for e-mail exchange. It's better to use the most simple format if possible, of
course :-))