Re: 2.1.127 Ooops on boot w/alpha

Sun, 8 Nov 1998 19:42:18 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> Short statement, maybe helpful to find the oopser:
> On my system (NCR53c815) I have NOT encountered any oops
> until now -- if SCSI-related, may be it is special for the 810-type?

Seems people who trust 'make oldconfig' are using a bogus config for the
NCR53C8XX driver for months. I never use 'make oldconfig' but I guess that
it just can affect default values to new config options.

This may lead to some bogus config for the driver that I didn't imagine
they may ever be entered by a human. :-)
This will be fixed in the next driver revision.

Could you check your config isn't something with DEFAULT_TAGS > MAX_TAGS.
If it is, it breaks ncr driver 3.1a, and 3.0i was just fortunate not to be
broken for this config. You just have to fix the config and the beast will
hopefully purr again as it used to do before.

If it is not the problem, please, send me more information if you have
some.

Regards,
Gerard.