Re: why umsdos?

Aaron Denney (wnoise@ugcs.caltech.edu)
8 Nov 1998 16:14:54 GMT

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Horvath Akos <maxx@yuc.sch.bme.hu> wrote:
> Five reasons to not to use this:

[loopback ext2 filesystem in file on msdos partition]

> - You can not resize an ext2fs image - repartitioning is better, because
> FIPS, presizer or Partition Magic can resize msdos partitions

No, you can't resize it, but you can copy it to a bigger file.
Somebody recently came out with a tool to resize ext2 volumes. It
might be persuaded to do this job, but perhaps not.

> - You can not read az ext2fs image from dos

There are actually drivers for it, as well as an mtools alike.

> - It will be slow (ok, umsdos is slow too)

On the same order as umsdos.

> - A newbie will never be able to set up a looproot distribution

Why not? I could just as easily assert "A newbie will never be able to
set up an umsdos distribution."

> - Looproot is problematic and untested (for example it does not work in
> vfat but works on an msdos partition)
>
> I think, a general ums-like pseudo-ext2-fs over not only umsdos, but all
> non unix-compatible fs were very good and useful for the linux community.

So would making sure loopback mounts worked on everything.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-