Re: raw drive access for databases

odsaz (odsaz@superonline.com)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:16:19 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
To: mike mangino <mangino@cis.ohio-state.edu>; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 08, 1998 3:41 AM
Subject: Re: raw drive access for databases

>On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 08:48:02PM -0500, mike mangino wrote:
>
>> While playing with some databases on linux, I see notes in the
documentation that there is no way to access a raw partition, and therefore
database files must also use the filesystem. I looked for a group that is
working on providing raw device access for databases. but I havent found
one. Is anyone working on this? If not, I'm willing to start the project
with a lot of help. (I have not contributed a single line to the kernel.)

>> I'm looking for a way to make Linux more viable as an enterprise
platform. Faster database access would hopefully do that.

>> p.s. I just wanted to let everyone know I really appreciate their
efforts. I love linux and I'll do my best to contribute to its development.

>Apparently Oracle's next generation products will be recommended to be used
>with filesystem, not raw devices as storage. That includes NFS. I guess
>that's the result of recent year's advantages in fs technology as well as
>portability considerations.
>
> Ralf

Well, I personanally think that it's faster and better in any conditition
to have a specialized block management for a database engine..
I'm trying to build a database on linux right now for my thesis, and I want
it to use the raw interface to disk.. There is a new operating system called
Xok, which lets the buffer management to be done by the program in a secure
way, I couldn't exactly understand how, though... but it's apperent that
it's a totally different architecture called exokernel. anyway I'm not
really sure if that can be done on Linux but I'm ready to try.. so if you
want to start a project for accessing the disk as raw, I'm ready to be into
it..

ps: I think under these conditions rawfs is not reallly what we want..
I'm not really sure, though.. any ideas?..