Re: 53c7,8xxx.c driver

Sun, 8 Nov 1998 12:50:15 +0100 (MET)

On 8 Nov 1998, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> Marc SCHAEFER <schaefer@alphanet.ch> wrote:
> > is the 53c7,8xxx.c still developped ?
>
> To followup on me, I saw that there is:

Will leave you with your opinion about these drivers. ;-)

> - 53c7,8xxx.c driver

Supports some 53C8XX chips but not 7XX chips.

Does not support, in particular, the following features:

- Tagged Commands
- Wide SCSI
- On-chip RAM for SCRIPTS.
- PCI cache-line optimizations.

Is very 7XX/8XX generic and so can be hacked easily to support old 7XX
chips.

Note, that if I ever think it is worth it I may support at least 720/770
chips for EISA in the ncr53c8xx driver.
For 710/ISA there is no chance at all. Just thinking that DMA is performed
through the ISA/BUS disqualified the thing.

> - ncr53c7xx.c driver
> this one looks to be the 53c7,8xxx.c modified to work with a big
> endian plateform (Amiga). It looks like it has the same reliability
> problems as 53c7,8xxx.c, but it probably supports the 710 chip.

It seems to be able to. You have to implement the detection routine for
your platform. It should support little-endian too.

Regards,
Gerard.