Re: high-end vs. low end

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@ag.or.at)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 23:42:56 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Lenart Gabor wrote:

> > I once booted Linux/m68k on my Amiga 4000/040, with an artificial memory limit
> > of 2 MB (of course I had swap :-). I started X (640x400 in 256 colors), twm and
> > one xterm. I do suggest at least 4 MB, though ;-)
>
> Here, at our (poor) University we were using 486DX-40 machines with 4M of
> RAM running Linux. Using them as X terminal is not too bad. OK, starting
> the X server tooks some time, but it works well for me ... (and running
> netscape 3 on another 4Mb-machine worked as well ;-)
> In the student-hostel a 386 machine with 4Mb RAM is used as router
> (kernel 1.2.x, I can't remember exactly).
Actually, I've got some discless 486/75 (with PCI), 8MB-16MB RAM, working
as Xterminals with Postscript-emulation for the connected printer quite
well.

Actually I prefer this boxes (one doesn't get them nowadays :( ), because
they are basically mute: No CPU fan, and the thermo-controlled case fan
never ever starts up (probably because the boxes are mostly idle, the CPU
is cool and there is no hdd in them ;) )

Actually, some customers (like doctors) wouldn't take anything else in
their offices, because typical PC fans are to loud to work (at least in
their feeling) ;).

Andreas