Re: Bug in SCSI driver in 2.0.35 (possibly AHA-1542?)

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:06:22 +0100

On Sat, Nov 07, 1998 at 01:21:32AM -0600, Evan Harris wrote:
> I just had a major oops with the kernel in a hard loop trying to reset a
> device. Using stock 2.0.35 (no third party patches) and an Adaptec 1542.
>
> The kernel printed this sequence over and over every few seconds. I
> couldn't get it to stop. Luckily my root partition was on another
> controller (2940UW). I tried to dynamically remove the offending device,
> but it locked up that console. I tried turning the device off, but the
> messages and non-responsiveness continued. I tried unplugging the device
> from the chain (it was the only device on that controller) but the
> messages continued. Only thing that worked was to reboot.

That is was is regularly observed on Adaptec 1542 adaptors (I have the
CF "flavour" of that), since the driver is evidently unable to recover
from Abort/Reset events, PLUS: the 1542 driver does lock the machine
for interrupt handling in case of errors which locks the system for
that long. There is currently no maintainer for the 1542 driver, and I
am not a kernel hacker, so I cannot fix this problem (which I have as
well).

--
Matthias Andree