Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

Henrik Olsen (henrik@iaeste.dk)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:39:51 +0000 ( )

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Dominik Weis wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Manuel J. Galan wrote:
>

> > On 06-Nov-98 Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I would actually welcome the Office Suite or Outlook for Linux.
> > >
> > > Kind regards
> > > Henning
> > >
> > Well, you've got it!
> >
> > http://www/stardivision.com
> >
> > Impressive!
>
> I know it is off topic but one really should take a look at Star Office.
> It even seems to be more stable than version 4. I was really impressed
> when I installed it today and the best thing it is free for non commercial
> use. It is not perfect(stability) but definitly the right way.
> Unfortunatly it needs the same amount of resources that M$ Office needs.

I was extremely UNimpressed by staroffice, as I will continue to be by
anything taking 20MB of memory simply to run a desktop, and needed 20 more
once I started any applications.

Unless the memory footprint for a Word 6 level editor is one the same
order as the one of the actual Word, I can't see any (non-religious)
reason to switch.

--
Henrik Olsen,   CNA, working on CNE.
URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/