Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:55:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alex.

>> It was stated:

>>> Outlook to extract the files - even Outlook Express cannot cope!

> Riley Williams replied:

>> I have a simple solution to this - if somebody sends me an
>> attachment that I can't extract, I send them a message saying so
>> and advising them to send it in a format that I can extract. As
>> far as I'm concerned, the onus is on the SENDER to ensure the
>> recipient can use what they're attaching, not on the recipient to
>> waste time doing other people's jobs for them...

Alex Belits replied:

> Some people have annoying habit of sending attachments in MS Word
> to company's internal mailing list, and they bitch quite loudly
> when someone tell them that their attachments can't be read --
> "Everyone else had no problems with that", etc.

It has become more than apparent that many people have misunderstood
my comment, as quoted above. May I emphasise that what I was referring
to was attachments that I could not EXTRACT from the email, and NOT
attachments that were in a file format that I could not directly
handle, such as one of the many variants of M$ Word document format.

As far as I am concerned, it is the SENDER's responsibility to use a
mailer that correctly MIME encodes attachments, so the recipients
mailer can decode them, and recreate the attached files.

Also as far as I am concerned, it is the RECIPIENT's responsibility to
obtain software that can read the said attached files ONCE THEY HAVE
BEEN EXTRACTED.

Those who care to check back through this thread will see that the
original poster, to whom I responded, was also referring to the same
problem, namely that M$ Outlook does NOT correctly MIME encode
anything it attaches to an email...

Best wishes from Riley.