Re: The next step: supercomputer via disparate nodes

ketil@ii.uib.no
06 Nov 1998 09:33:56 +0100

Zack Brown <zbrown@lynx.neu.edu> writes:

> Would anyone care to make predictions about when we might see a computer of
> this kind (and what obstacles stand in the way):

Very hard. Not only must job scheduling/distribution take into account
the structure of the network and the predicted CPU and network cost of
each subtask (in order to avoid sending a bandwidth heavy and CPU light
job to somebody on a 1200 baud modem in Taiwan), but you also must
ensure redundancy of all nodes, including the node submitting the job.

The answer is probably not ``never'', but pretty close to it.

> 4) nodes can locally select to include or exclude jobs (via config file)
> initiated by particular users. PGP authentication ensures identity of user.
> The effect of this is that most users won't actually be able to use the
> power of the computer, but various worthy causes will, because participants
> will include them in their config file.

If you have a "good cause" like this, why don't you just make a java
applet on your web page that does its thing, and ask people to point
their browser to that page?

~kzm