Re: high-end vs. low end [was: Linux vs. FreeBSD]

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 02:05:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@bug.ucw.cz>
To: Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl>
Cc: Sasi Peter <sape@iq.rulez.org>; Linux Kernel
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: high-end vs. low end [was: Linux vs. FreeBSD]

>Hi!
>
>> > Don't forget, the point is, that linux makes a perfect Xterminal of
>> > a 386 with 8M ram (and should further versions do so too).
>>
>> It probably will. It might even work better :)
>
>Don't think so. I tried to make X run on 386 with 8meg and hercules,
>and it is very slow. It is usable, but when X it start 2 minutes or
>so, it is not nice. So - 386 was never nice X terminal.
> Pavel
>--

Actually a DOS X terminal works very well on a 386 with 4 MB or more (2 MB
is ok). One very good thing about DOS, it made one an efficient programmer
with limited resources; it also did not hog up all the system resources as
Win9x-NT do. A windows X terminal also works acceptably although windows
will slow it down on 6 MB or less. Perhaps linux 8086 might work well too,
if it ever gets an X server.