Re: Volume Managers in Linux

trn@waea.trn.nu
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:32:43 -0500

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

> From: "Alan Olsen" <alano@adams.pcx.ncd.com>
> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:53:22 -0800
> Subject: Re: Volume Managers in Linux
>=20
> On Nov 5, 9:30am, Thomas Gebhardt wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Volume Managers in Linux
> >
> > [ text/plain
> > Encoded with "quoted-printable" ]:
> > >
> > > You sure need big file support bug i think big file support is someth=
ing
> > > for BIG SERVERS serving Databases with >2GB Data volume. This is
> > > 5000 serves in the World - End users you have millions nowerdays.
> > >

> > There is a bunch of apps in computational chemistry that need very
> > large temporary files. I had several questions from users who hit
> > the 2GB file limit.
>=20
> Also on that list of large file needs is the premaster file for DVD write=
rs.
> (I forget what DVD tops out at, but it is larger than 2 gig.)
>=20
> The needs for large file structures will grow with dvd recording and the
> release of bletcherously huge drives like Seagate's new 50 gig scsi.
>=20
> - --=20
> Alan Olsen
>=20

Hopefully I'm not adding another useless post, but truthfully, I've almost
stopped using Linux due to the 2GB file limit. I have tar files over 2GB
routinetly. I've been pretty much forced to switch to Solaris. Now, my
question is, does UFS supporting writing to the disks, because, Solaris UFS
supports files over 2GB. Could we make a UFS root partition?

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e--