Re: Dreadful xfer rates and TCPv4 bad checksum in 2.1.1xx with PPP

David G Hamblen (dave@afr-olt.com)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 17:38:18 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Umm.... I'm using a Linux 2.1.126 kernel with a V.90 56kbps modem card,
> and I'm getting 4-4.5kbps FTP transfer rates using PPP and the serial
> driver via the PCMCIA interface. So it's not quite that simple....
>
> Are you using autoirq with setserial? That broke for some people when
> we regularized the IRQ interface, but testing for that is very hard,
> becuase it's dependent on the vagrancies of random UART's chips,
> particularly the non-standard (i.e., non-National Semiconductor) UARTs.
>
> So if you're using autoirq, and it failed, the irq would be set to 0,
> and that would certainly explain the lousy performance. I very, very,
> very, strongly recommend that people NOT using autoirq. Trying to do
> automatic IRQ detection with the ISA bus is dicecy at best, because the
> ISA bus really isn't designed for it.....
>
> I recommend that people use setserial and manually set the irq to the
> correct value. In the latest (just released) setserial, there's a much
> nicer way of doin this which uses a file /etc/serial.conf as a place for
> configuring the IRQ information.
>
> - Ted

Will setserial work on a module?

I've currently got the serial interface compiled as a module, and whatever
is being done is automatic. I just tried it, and after doing an 'insmod
serial', dmesg shows serial driver 4.26 with no options, and the expected
irq 3 and 0x2f8 for ttyS01. Booting 2.0.33 (with the compiled-in serial
support) shows serial driver 4.13 and the same irq and ioport for tty01.
Looking in /dev, I have only tty0, tty1, ttyS0, ttyS1 plus a bunch of
ttyS1x, etc. I do not have any devices which match the serial ports
identified by the dmesg output (ttyS01 vs ttyS1).

My next project is to borrow a pcmcia modem from someone around here to
eliminate my 16450 from the process. (so far I've only found a 3com
winmodem -(. )

dave