Re: AIC 7880 timeouts w/SMP

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
5 Nov 1998 11:28:56 +0100

In article <cistron.13884.56631.278784.506313@paramount.ind>,
Frank Sweetser <rasmusin@paramount.ind.wpi.edu> wrote:
>kernel 2.1.126 and 2.1.127pre3, a dual p2 machine with an AHA 2940 and an
>AIC 7880 onboard. when the kernel is compiled UP, it works fine, but when
>compiled SMP, the 7880 simply spits out a bunch of "aborting command due to
>timeout" messages, and then the SCSI bus is continously reset. the 2940
>works fine either way. this happens regardless of what's plugged into the
>7880. the 7880 reports bios version 1.26sP7. i can provide any more
>information (more detailed copying down of error messages, etc) if needed.
>any help at all is apreciated!

I can confirm this - on an SMP system (2xPPro 200) the UP kernel
locks up solid during boot (after fsck), the SMP kernel spits out
lots of timeout messages and never reaches the point where it should
exec init.

2.1.127-pre7, gcc-2.7.2.3, aic7xxx onboard

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?