Re: Storage Tek STL's

John Kodis (kodis@jagunet.com)
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:59:09 -0500

On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 01:23:38PM -0600, The Doctor What wrote:

> Does anyone know if Storage Tek's DLT Storage Tape Libraries work with
> Linux? The drives are SCSI tape devices and should pose no/little
> problems, however, the tape mounting mechanism (which works via RPC) is
> the real unknown quantity.

Do you mean the control of the robotic jukebox? If so, this needn't
be controlled through RPC, as there are simple, standard, well
documented SCSI commands available to control the jukebox.

Mountaingate, and I would assume most other tape library units as
well, are or can be controlled in this same manner. As testiment to
this, I once wrote an mt-like utility for controlling a Storagetek
library using the SCSI command set, and was able to use this program
unchanged to control a Mountaingate library unit.

If you can issue low-level SCSI commands to it, the control is pretty
easy to do. If you're forced to interact through some RPC library,
the degree of difficulty depends on the quality of documentation
available for the library.

-- John Kodis.