Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source documentk

Tim Smith (tzs@tzs.net)
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:12:48 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Dave DeMaagd wrote:
> What is so not true about that??? For something to be good, it does not
> necessarily have to be innovative. Innovation is good, but if you can
> take a feature that someone else has, and do it better than them, that
> that is really great. That is why Linux is being noticed. It does things
> that other OSs do, and tries (and often succedes) to do them better.

Exactly. Linux is good because it is an excellent implementation of an
already proven set of ideas. There isn't a lot in it, from a programming
point of view, that is innovative. If you want innovative, run Hurd, or
some research OS. If you want something *useful*, run Linux.

My guess is that when they are writing the textbooks 50 years from now,
Linux will be mentioned much more in the business textbooks than in the
computer science textbooks, and Linus will be more remembered as a genius
of management and organization than as a programmer. Sure, he's a great
programmer, but there are plenty of equally good programmers around.
There are very few people who can manage a successful project the size of
Linux, even without the handicap of the people working on it being
distributed all over the planet and communicating via a flakey network.

--Tim Smith