Re: New DoS via SAK?

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:58:29 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Roger Espel Llima wrote:

> I know that ircII and sirc properly escape untrusted data, so I guess
> something went wrong between ircII-EPIC and BitchX.

It might be that I have an old version of BitchX (75p1), so I'll try
upgrading tonight.

> in any case, it's quite normal for escape sequences to be able to change
> keyboard modes and things like that. I'm surprised that you mention
> xterms though; if you were runnign BitchX under an xterm, then the linux
> kernel isn't directly involved anywhere in the escape sequence decoding
> (done by xterm) or the display updating (done by xterm, Xlib and the X
> server).

Yes, all xterm sessions were really messed up.

> did console-changing work at that point? and if not, how did you
> kill your X server? Or did you do alt-ctrl-backspace, and did that
> work?

Couldn't change the consoles because the keyboard was so messed up. I
resorted to right clicking on the mouse to bring up the window manager's
menu and selected QUIT. Killed all sessions and then restarted X11. All
was well after that.

Cheers,
Alex.

---