Re: NFS problem with NetworkAppliance .snapshot

Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@transmeta.com)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 15:25:07 -0800

Lee Hetherington <ilh@sls.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

> NetworkAppliance dedicated NFS servers have a snapshot capability that
> allows for quick read-only access to past versions of files and
> directories. They make this available via a hidden .snapshot directory
> in every NFS directory. I say hidden because it does not show up via ls
> (and readdir). So, "ls -a" does not show it, but "ls .snapshot" does
> list its contents, which are things like hourly.0, nightly.2, weekly.1,
> monthly.1, etc. The reason the directory is normally hidden is so that
> recursive tar's and cp's do not descend into it.

What version of Network Appliance Data ONTAP are you running? We
don't have the problem you're describing here running 2.1.x (where x
includes 86, 106, and 126) and various versions of Data ONTAP 5.0.

Dan