Re: raw drive access for databases

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:30:04 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > takes advantage of existing options.
> > But is this useful? The linux filesystem is fast as is.
>
> Well, my first thought is cache control. Bypassing the fs means avoiding
> unnecesary readahead that would pollute the disk cache, and being able to
> specify their own cache policies. Of course if something fails, there's
> no e2fsck..

That's of no concern. It's the ease of administration and
recovery that's the thing when using any raw device DB access.

Not as easy to selectively recover files to a FS, or back them up.
For those willing to go the extra mile, letting Oracle handle
cahing policy and so-forth can REALLY help.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2113 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2132 for the rich and the dead.
809 days remaining in the Raw Deal.