RE: GURU needed: Linux vs. FreeBSD

Thomas Schenk (tschenk@dejanews.com)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:34:22 -0600

On Tue, 03 Nov 1998, Alfredo Sanjuan wrote:
>But www.dejanews.com is a pool of 14 servers. ftp.cdrom.com is a SINGLE
>server. You can take a look at the hardware of ftp.cdrom.com at
>ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/config (if you can avoid the 3600 allowed connections
>:-)

This is not a apples to apples comparison. A FTP server typically sets
up a connection and keeps it open for some extended period of time, whereas
a Web server does not. With over 40 articles served per second, our web
servers are setting up and tearing down connections at an astonishing rate.
A FTP server is typically disk bound (which explains why ftp.cdrom.com
is using the fastest RAID system it can), where our web servers are limited
by CPU and memory (which is why we use SMP systems with 512M of RAM and
distribute the load across machines). I think that both Linux and FreeBSD
are excellent systems and the choice on which to use depends on which you
are most comfortable with. I personally use both on my home systems.

Tom