Re: Volume Managers in Linux

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:41:25 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Id like to see the LVM and an resizeable filesystem etc but
> > this seems not to be the way it will go.
>
> Having support for LVM in the kernel is so minimal it isn't
> even funny. It is userland to the hilt. The patch to kernel
> (ftp://ftp.msede.com/pub/linux/lvm/lvm-2.1-patch) is a grand
> total of 5k, and the rest is userland utilities and a SUPER
> handy lvm library.

Wow, only 5k. Since it is so trivial and often-asked-for,
this definately is one of the things to immediately
integrate in 2.3.0, just before it comes out.

> I see no bloat, only value added. Changes NOTHING for those
> who don't want it.

Maybe it's an idea to make a list of features that:
o are basically ready and stable
o were 'just' late for feature freeze
o are often requested
o are maintained
o are on the queue for 2.3

I am willing to put together that page. If you have
a patch/subsystem/other_thing that satisfies the
above requirements AND has it's own home page or
repository, please mail me the URL and a short
description.

I guess most newbie-hackers (ie. the ones with time
left) and sysadmins will be interested. Now if they
would have finished the beta-testing before 2.3
enters the market, we could be in for a short 2.3/2.4
cycle.

On a less realistic mode, what about only allowing 'ready'
stuff into 2.3 and starting with the code freeze in 2.3.5?

Rik -- typing slowly because my kbd is dvorak since sun 19:40...