Re: ppp and 2.1.126/2.1.125

flewid (flewid@netcom.ca)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:01:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:

well, ive tried using 2.0.35 and ppp works just fine in 2.0.35, im using
the 2.3.5 kernel drivers, and the 2.3.5 pppd binary, with 2.1.125 and
2.1.126, ive tried with 2.3.5 kernel drivers, and 2.3.5 pppd binary, ive
also tried with the drivers that come with the kernel (2.3.3 i believe)
still did'nt work, i also tried with 2.3.3 patched for glibc2 and for the
2.1.X kernels, and it still didn't work, i have /etc/modules.conf setup
properly, well it is according to the other guy who wrote the email about
setting up conf.modules, and what is happening is, it dials my isp, then
just sits there, its like its not setting up the route properly for some
reason, the only other thing i can think of is i havent set /proc/net/XXXX
properly, but i don't know which one to see if its setup properly.. i
think im gonna try loooking at /proc/net with 2.0.35 and with 2.1.125 and
see the differences, and change them accordingly so its the same as 2.0.35
and see if that works, ive run out of solutions, and this is really
pi**ing me off because ive done everything in the Changes file, and other
things, and its still not working... it seems other people have had the
same problem before and haven't gotten theres to work, or did, and told me
how they did it, but i tried whatever they did, and it didn't work.. i
appriciate any more suggestions

> I haven't been following the thread all that carefully. Pardon me
> if this has already been said: If you don't control the remote,
> have you obtained the relevant parts of the log file from whoever
> does? Have you determined the time difference between the two
> machines and can you exactly correlate the two files?
>
> In other words (I think you said you were timing out during LCP
> ConfReqs): Is the other end receiving the ConfReqs? Is it
> replying? The problem, making the reasonable assumption that it is
> at your end, is either that your kernel/serial port/modem is not in
> fact sending them, even though pppd is asking for them to be sent,
> or else it is sending them, and replies are arriving, but the
> replies are being ignored at the modem/port/kernel level.
>
> Have you tried another serial port? Another card? Another kernel?
> Reviewed the modem init string? Tried another modem?
>
> Apologies if this has all been covered.
>
> I've noticed some elaborate conf.modules mailed and I think it's
> something more basic than that. It's not so hard that you have to
> be a conf.module guru to get ppp to work. AFAIK off the top of my
> head, you don't even need to use a module unless you want BSD
> compression.

.oOo. .oOo.
flewid flewid@netcom.ca
.OoO. .OoO.