Re: kernel 2.0.36-pre16

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 15:01:55 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Jim Woodward wrote:

> after testing this kernel I found that it crashed my system after 12
> hours of uptime..
> thats fair enough, its a pre-release kernel..
>
> i found pre15 to be rocksolid as far as stability goes..

How long as pre15 been out to be rocksolid :P
I've found that I experience crashes on two of our servers quite frequently
since upgrading from the 2.0.33pre I was running before the pre36 series.
I haven't had time to get a 36pre16 up and running yet though. The crashes
are similar to yours. Blank screen, no oops, no response.

> Intel Pentium 166
> Adaptec AVA-1515 SCSI2 controller. (using the aha152x driver)
> PCPartner VX motherboard - 64meg EDO RAM
> Creative ViBRA 16 PnP (using the SB16 driver with isapnptools)
> DSE 2 port 16C650 serial card (on IRQ's 7 and 9) (using setserial)
> RealTek PCI NE2000 clone (RTL 8029) (using PCI NE2000 driver)
> S3 ViRGE/DX 2meg PCI video.

Of my systems one is a P120/asus with ncr53c8xx and hp100vg. The other is a
recent P-II/asus with eide, hp100vg. But I _think_ the P-II crashes as
a result of the first machine crashing and watchdog for some reason
giving the P-II a reboot. I think the problem might be related in the way
mounted NFS filesystems from unresponsive NFS servers behave (eating up too
much cpu?).

> after all, you cant have innovation without a few rocks on the road :)
> and Alan Cox is doing a fabulous job with the kernel maintenance and
> developments.

Alan is doing a great job indeed.

Paul