Re: Linux kernel in breach of GPL ?

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:38:27 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Darren Reed wrote:

> /* $Id: dma.c,v 1.7 1994/12/28 03:35:33 root Exp root $
> * linux/kernel/dma.c: A DMA channel allocator. Inspired by linux/kernel/irq.c.
> *
> * Written by Hennus Bergman, 1992.
> *
> * 1994/12/26: Changes by Alex Nash to fix a minor bug in /proc/dma.
> * In the previous version the reported device could end up being wrong,
> * if a device requested a DMA channel that was already in use.
> * [It also happened to remove the sizeof(char *) == sizeof(int)
> * assumption introduced because of those /proc/dma patches. -- Hennus]
> */
>
> To me this implies that "Hennus Bergman" wrote that file and hence owns
> the copyright to it and that the file is not in fact placed under GPL.

You still own your code when it's in the kernel and GPLed.. Just cause the
FSF wants the copyright for stuff in their projects doesn't mean you must
do something like that to GPL..

Since there is no other expressed in this file, then it means it's under
the same licence as the rest of the archive (as expressed in COPYING).