Re: Sendmail 8.9.1 and 2.1.127-pre3 (fwd)

Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles (frer@vnet.es)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:12:18 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, John Hayward-Warburton wrote:

> OK, further to my previous post, it seems to be something to do
> with gethostbyname()? In previous kernel versions, this function
> did not require named to be running, and quickly returned a
> "don't know" type of response. Now, it seems much slower.

I have ever had the same problem when named is not running, and the
solution is very simple: add your host name and IP address to /etc/hosts.
Do it for every host/domain sendmail must serve, and it will make it
happy.

Now, my question is: Is this a kludge, or normal behaviour?

Greetings.

---
Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles - mailto:frer@vnet.es
System Administrator, Virtual Net
This message is just my opinion right now