Re: Random Register Contents

Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:10:34 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Andrej Presern wrote:

> If you're worried about covert channels on UNIX, you should kill the
> filesystem asap, together with 90% of the rest of the system (yes, UNIX
> "security" is really that broken, by design).
>
> Andrej

Correct!

Script started on Mon Nov 2 15:59:59 1998
$ ls /tmp
the_nuclear_device_is_being_shipped_by_federal_express_waybill_no_12345
$ exit
exit
Script done on Mon Nov 2 16:00:11 1998

Complete security does not exist on a system designed for interactive use.
If you make a program, that does only what you define, and substitute it
for `init`, then you have some degree of security as long as no failure
mode exists that can perform unintended I/O. This may not be possible.

PROM-based software is probably most secure. However, if it interracts
with humans over a communications channel, therein lies the problem.

Of course you can get 'close'. But is 'close' close enough? No answers
are necessary.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.126 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).