Re: Kernel Drivers

Claude Gamache (cgamache@cae.ca)
02 Nov 1998 15:01:37 -0500

Kevin Grey <kernellist@kevlar2.ml.org> writes:

> Can anyone direct me as to where I can get the proper information
> on how to code linux device drivers? I'm hoping to create some devices
> and possibly proc information pseudo files. Thanks

"Linux Device Drivers" by Alessendro Rubini is probably the best
source to start with.

"Linux Kernels Internals, 2nd edition", Beck, Boehn, Dziadzka, Kunitz,
Magnus and Verworner, describes in depth the kernel data structures.

of various information is provided there.

Also, the Kernel sources are, of course, very instructive; it is not
the best place to start unless you are an accomplished hacker ;-)

It would be a good idea to look at the Linux documentation Project LDP
(http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/)

Claude

P.S.: if you have other godd sources of information, please keep me
posted.

--
  Claude Gamache, CAE Electronique Ltee, 8585 Cote-de-Liesse
  Saint-Laurent,  Quebec, Canada H4T 1G6