Re: 2.1.126: Possible bug in fschk/corrupted inode handling

Meino Christian Cramer (root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de)
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 18:41:22 GMT

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: 2.1.126: Possible bug in fschk/corrupted inode handling
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:28:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alan!

*THANK YOU* very much for the reply! :-)

> > Again running
> >
> > e2fsck /dev/sda2
> >
> > Produces the same read error from the same bad block and the same sound.
> >
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > I thought the -c option and the entry
> > of the badblock would avoid further reading?!
>
> e2fsck rechecks bad blocks.

Oh, yeah! that makes most things more understandable to me ! :-)

> > And -- if so -- how can I avoid further reading from this defect block, possibly
> > WITHOUT reformatting the disk, cause it is my root device and therefore
> > the prrof of Murphy's law.
>
> Ideally you want to do a scsi verify - thats in most SCSI bios. That makes
> the drive itself do a complete check and bad block remap

Hmmm - how can I force the HD to check the blocks -- or asking the other way:
IF the bios has already checked the blocks and DON'T fopund anything bad --
what happens to my partition then?

Any help will be very appreciated cause I am in fear for my system...

KEEP HACKING! and many thnaks in advance, Alan!
Meino