Re: arca-1-against-pre-2.1.127-3

Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:03:35 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> >I had to do the following to my system. The isdn stuff is the CVS
>
> Many thanks for the patch. I have not understood your problems with the
> aic. Could you try to set JIFFIES_OFFSET to 0 (in include/linux/sched.h)
> and see if the aic has still problems? The most common problem is that
> drivers are used to set timer->expires to 0 when they want to execute the
> timer ASAP. It' s trivial to set timer->expires to jiffies in such cases.
> (the same is true for some timers that are set to ULONG_MAX while instead
> should be set to jiffies + LONG_MAX).

I did set JIFFIES_OFFSET to 0 to get past the boot hang. During a quick
peek, I saw things like...
/*
* Convince Mid Level SCSI code to leave us be for a little bit...
*/
p->last_reset = jiffies;
p->host->last_reset = (jiffies + (HZ * AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY));
..
if ( ((jiffies - p->last_reset) < (HZ * 3)) &&
..
p->dev_last_reset[i] = jiffies;
..
p->dev_timer[i].expires = 0;
..
p->dev_timer[tindex].expires = p->dev_last_reset[tindex] + (4 * HZ);

...and figured that they might cause problems. Not being certain, I decided
best course was just kill the offset and report it.

-Mike