Re: sb16 duplex for 2.1.125

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:58:53 -0800 (PST)

On 31 Oct 1998, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
>
> > > I hope he doesn't mind and that the README file is clear
> > > enough to let people see that file belongs to Alan.
> >
> > I think "belongs to Alan" is a fairly limited notion when its
> > a collection of patches mostly by other people ;)
> >
> > > fulldup.c.gz
> > > 2.0/
> > > 2.1/
> > >
> > > Read the README and choose whatever files suit you from
> > > the 2.x dirs.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Sorry to answer this lately, but this patch broke sound in quake2.
>
> Took some hours (archive searching and kernel recompilations) to find
> that.
>
> Hopefully, something can be done on the issue.
>
> At this point, that makes it two broken applications (hm), due to
> changes in the sound device driver, alone. Other is Real Player, of
> course.
>
> Please, don't take this mail as offense, it's just food for
> thinking. :)

I believe this may be related to the same problem that happened in ALSA
when a "fix" was applied to the driver that made full duplex work. Quake
opens the sound port as O_RDWR, when it just needs O_WRONLY, and some
sound cards (like my GUS classic) can't do 16 bit sampling (only 16 bit
playback), so the initialization fails. I believe the workaround was to
only initialize and open the record channel when it's actually used.

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |