Re: More linux-conform fbmem (2.1.12[0-x]) patch

Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@geert.cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:29:13 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Carsten Pluntke wrote:
> As suggested I replaced the iopa() with a virt_to_phys() call which is
> really more linux-conform... I think the changes are to be done to make
> iopa(), __pa() and other address translation schemes obsolete, replacing
> them with the virt_to_phys(), virt_to_bus() and vice versa calls.
>
> (LKML readers:) This patch is used on at least my APUS system to make
> framebuffer based X servers functional again after it has gone broken
> since version 2.1.120. If you think the patch is of everyone's concern,
> please remove the #ifdef ... #endif and put it in the kernel...

The patch is wrong. fix.{smem,mmio}_start have to be _physical_ addresses. If
they are virtual, it's a bug in the frame buffer device you are using.

Greetings,

Geert

P.S. Yes, on m68k it doesn't matter because physical == virtual for the I/O
areas.

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be