Re: Division by zero in serial device in 2.1.125

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:36:13 -0500

From: "Etienne Lorrain" <lorrain@fb.sony.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:20:14 +0001

Same Oops here, not reproducable after hard reboot or
with strace, with:
setserial /dev/ttyS3 divisor 0

But in fact (baud_base == 0) should be filtered before,
and it is really done when you begin to debug (murphy's law).

In fact I think that's the bug. You can in fact trivially oops the
serial driver if you say "setserial /dev/ttyS3 baud_base 0".

The problem is that most people playing with baud_base and divisor don't
what they are doing, and most of the time they really don't need to be
touching them. Sigh... maybe I can improve the documentation.

Anyway, I have a number of other proposed serial patches that I need to
look at, so I'll try to get a patch to Linus sometime early next week.

- Ted